Saturday, June 22, 2013

Keep Going

What About Bob? is one of my favorite movies.  Bob (Bill Murray)  and Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfuss)play an extremely needy, obsessive-compulsive patient and psychiatrist. One day after leaving Dr. Marvin's office, Dr. Marvin gets on the elevator with Bob, and Bob begs for some wisdom from Dr. Marvin.  Dr. Marvin had just written a book called Baby Steps, so he shared those two words with Bob, "Baby steps, Bob." So Bob gets off the elevator repeating those two words over and over.  

This is basically how my life has gone, in baby steps.  When I tend to procrastinate, I tell myself, "Keep going." When I have not succeeded at something, I say, "Keep going."  Yes, it doesn't matter how far, just keep moving forward in tiny increments if that's the best I can do.  


I think those two words, "Keep going," apply to anything we are going through.  For instance, I believe grief as a part of life is inevitable. When it seems I can't go on due to a particular heartache and/or disappointment, I just keep going.  Sometimes it takes the greatest effort to even get up in the morning, but isn't that moving?  Often I've needed help, and faith, friends, medication, and my increasing passion for mixed-media art are tremendous resources that keep me going.  I strongly encourage anyone that reads this to find your inner and outer resources. Look for them. Search for them.  You will discover them.  In the meantime, let's just keep moving forward even if it is at a snail's pace.

2 comments:

  1. Yes ! "What about Bob?" This movie plays an important role in our life. My DH randomly says "What about Bob?" everyday. Makes me laugh every time. And my daughter always says "Baby Steps" .
    It's funny how a simple movie about a wacked out character can teach us so much.
    oh and ....
    I love the snail photo !
    keep moving !


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marianne, for your comments, and for following my blog. I love that Bob means a lot to your family : ) The reason I laughed so hard when I watched the movie was because I could relate to Bob. I want to thank you, too, for encouraging me to "keep moving." You inspired me to write a new post! Be blessed!!!
      Nancy

      Delete